The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child have an orthodontic evaluation by age 7 or earlier if a problem is detected. Although treatment may not begin at this young an age, Dr. Serino may elect to monitor your child's dental development. Early detection greatly reduces the need for removal of permanent teeth.
Treatment is sometimes recommended for younger children, and, because children are usually enthusiastic and cooperative, total treatment time is often reduced. Orthodontic results are often achieved which would not otherwise be possible once the face and jaws have stopped growing.
Benefits of Early Treatment
- Influence jaw growth in a positive manner.
- Harmonize width of the dental arches.
- Improve eruption patterns.
- Lower risk of trauma to protruded upper incisors.
- Correct harmful oral habits.
- Improve esthetics and self-esteem.
- Simplify and shorten treatment time for later orthodontic procedures.
- Reduce likelihood of impacted permanent teeth.
- Preserve or gain space for erupting teeth.
Early orthodontic screening can lead to simple, more effective treatment or, at least, greater peace of mind.